Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Novel Update: First Draft - Chapter Nine

Word Count: 19,826

Yes, I've gone under the 20k word mark, but for the better. I was working on Chapter Seven, which contained a major piece of back story, the end of the chapter contains some mediocre writing that I wrote before I started on the back story in between. So I deleted the last bit, and cut the back-story prematurely in a cliffhanger and left it for the audience to wonder later. But I feel I’ve hit a block. I started chapter nine, thinking it would a diary entry from one of my main characters. Pathetically, I don’t know how to start. I feel I might be hitting another dry spot, so I’m not going to force it.

For me, I need to think about the story, and not stare blankly at a word processor waiting for the word to come. Going for a walk works, having a shower works and most annoyingly going to bed works. I might go to bed and wait to fall asleep and then ideas come. Sometimes, I will get up, grab a notebook and write them down. Last night was one of those nights and I did not grab a notebook. I though I would wake up the next morning and remember. Well I can’t remember anything. Maybe it will come to me later on, but not at the moment.