Wednesday, April 13, 2005

The pilgrimage that represents equality


(c) Maher Steitieh 2005 Posted by Hello

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine arrived back home after a very long holiday. My friend is a Muslim and he did what all Muslims have to do at least once in a lifetime. Make the pilgrimage to Mecca. I got this photo to show you, I am not religious at all, in fact I am atheist and my beliefs reflect that of the play 'Waiting for Godot.' But I do find this event inspirational. 3 million people in one place for the same purpose. What I also find inspiring is under Islam and especially during the 'Hajj,' as it is called, everyone is equal, they all stay in tents and the men all wear the exact same garment, two towels to symbolise everybody is equal. There are so many misconceptions about this religion that should be solved. Maybe I will take the time one day to remove them all because prior to 9/11 so much has been lost.